Meskouta with Orange: A Bundt Cake Recipe to Love
Rob from Mr Bakers Cakes joined Zoe in the Kitchen earlier this year to show us one of his tasty Recipes using a Nordicware Bundt Tin.
The full video tutorial can be found over on Our YouTube Channel
If you are a fan of citrusy desserts and love the aroma of freshly baked cakes, then this is just the recipe for you. Meskouta, a traditional Moroccan cake, is loved for its simplicity and delightful flavors. With the addition of orange, this bundt cake version of Meskouta is a refreshing twist that will tantalize your taste buds. So, let's dive straight into the recipe and learn how to make this delicious, moist, and tangy Meskouta with Orange.
To make the Meskouta with Orange, we need the following ingredients:
- Zest and juice of one large orange
- 4 large eggs
- 190g caster sugar
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 240g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
Once you have all your ingredients ready, follow these simple steps to bake your own Meskouta with Orange.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/GM4.
- Butter and flour a bundt-style cake pan.
- Zest the orange, then juice it.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the eggs and sugar in a large bowl until pale and thick. You should be able to draw a figure of eight on the surface without it disappearing immediately.
- Add the oil gradually, and beat until well combined.
- Place a sieve on top of the bowl and add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Sieve these over the eggs and sugar mixture, and fold through to combine.
- Pour in the orange juice, vanilla, and orange zest, and mix until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared cake pan and bake in the oven for approximately 40 minutes, or until the sides of the cake pull away from the pan and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the tin for around 10 minutes, before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Orange Icing Glaze
This Meskouta with Orange would not be complete without its accompanying orange icing glaze. It adds a burst of citrus flavor that complements the cake beautifully. Here's how you make it:
- 150g icing sugar
- 1 orange, juice and zest
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl, before adding around two tablespoons of the orange juice. Mix to a smooth paste.
- Add more orange juice, as necessary, until you get a smooth icing of the consistency you desire.
- Transfer the icing into a small piping bag and pipe it all over the cooled cake, allowing it to run down the sides. Sprinkle over grated orange zest and set the cake aside until the icing has set.
Now, your Meskouta with Orange is ready to be served and enjoyed. It's perfect for a cozy afternoon tea or as a sweet treat after dinner. The tanginess of the orange combined with the moist and fluffy texture of the cake is sure to win you over. Happy baking and thanks to Rob of Mr Bakers Cakes for this fab recipe.